2006-09-19

The Simpsons's seventh season

The Simpsons: Season Seven

It's been a long time since I've really taken a seat and watched The Simpsons. I've always got something better to do when it's running on syndication, and over the past eight years I haven't exactly been a faithful Sunday evening viewer. Like many, I was under the impression that The Simpsons has suffered a severe decline in comedy since approximately season ten or eleven.

Looking back at old episodes with the benefit of time and without the benefit of my rose-colored glasses, that's definitely not the case. I just completed my seventh Simpsons box set (The Complete Seventh Season), and viewing the episodes in production order shows a very gradual but very recognizable gradation from the more "serious" episodes that I love to the more "goofy" episodes of late that I seemed to loathe. In fact, I watched the first two episodes of the current season (Season 18) as I was watching this boxset, and they fit in just fine.

It's good to revisit stuff I loved when I was young. It's better to discover that I have seven or eight seasons of quality comedy that I didn't even bother to watch, all coming to me within the next few years on DVD.

The Simpsons Season 7: complete. Watching everything I own: far from over.

No comments: