2006-09-21

May I be of assistance?

Today I made my first of what will be many Halloween store runs. I stopped at Wal Mart first, looking for elusive Black Cat (or Cocoa Cat) Peeps or something spooky to put in my apartment. No dice. Next was K-Mart for the same reason, and once again I left empty-handed (although I could have easily picked up a few Christmas decorations already!). Then to Giant for Peeps and for some regular-type groceries. I picked up some bitching Halloween lights to replace the finally-burnt-out Christmas lights from last November. Then, my final stop was the Dollar Tree (coincidentally, my last hope in this podunk town for cat-type Peeps).

It was 8:55 and the store opened at 9:00. I was waiting outside with a middle-aged woman, striking up a conversation about the cold weather and what each of us were doing at the Dollar Tree at the asscrack of morning. She told me she was there for clear, Christmas-type lights to put amongst her leaves for autumn.

They opened their doors, and their Christmas section(!!!) left quite a bit to be desired for her. While I was basking in the glory of Halloween madness (but, alas, no catpeeps), she was milling around the store like a lost puppy looking for lights. Digging through a Halloween bin, I found them. White Christmas lights, presumably from last year's holiday set-up. I hunted the woman down, and she was quite pleased.

This did not merit a post this long, but I'm trying to think of the happy morning I had before I saw a dead cat lying on the road.

Mission: complete. Now I'll never have to help anybody ever again.

No comments: